155. WG21 October mailing, Carbon, Cpp2, Safety
With Bjarne Stroustrup, Gianluca Delfino, Ashod Nakashian, Vladimír Arnošt and other colleagues.
Powered by RedCircle
See Meeting 154 comments.
John Romero met Bjarne Stroustrup:
Incredible life achievement unlocked. I spent an hour of one-on-one time talking to the amazing Bjarne @stroustrup about C++ at the @WeAreDevs 2022 conference :) @ID_AA_Carmack #CPP #programming pic.twitter.com/yywK1ZPbbN— 𝕵𝖔𝖍𝖓 𝕽𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖗𝖔 (@romero) June 16, 2022
WG21 October mailing
Mailing - 80 papers, 41 new!
- P2000R4. DIRECTION FOR ISO C++. Additions are highlighted in red, my eyes!! Accent on type safety, static analysis.
- P0592R5. To boldly suggest an overall plan for C++26, by Ville Voutilainen
- P2263R1. A call for a WG21 managed chat service. IRC -> Slack (Cpplang) -> Mattermost. CoC enforcement is a problem.
- P1068R6. Vector API for random number generation. Doesn’t address the problem of correct initialisation of random number generators.
- P1385R7. A proposal to add linear algebra support to the C++ standard library. This is a big one, voting record shows various details are being fleshed out.
- P1673R10. A free function linear algebra interface based on the BLAS. Huh, another one? Interop with the other proposal. Distinctive characteristics.
#embed- a scannable, tooling-friendly binary resource inclusion mechanism. The C edition was accepted into C23. Come on, C++.
- P2392R2. Pattern matching using
as, by Herb Sutter. Nothing on what’s changed in this version. Perhaps Cpp2 had some influence?
- P2561R1. An error propagation operator, by Barry Revzin (was:
operator??). Looks a bit weird.
- P2687R0. Design Alternatives for Type-and-Resource Safe C++, by Bjarne Stroustrup and Gabriel Dos Reis
- P2657R0. C++ is the next C++. C++ can be improved with static analysis, which can be specified and configured per module. This creates dialects of sorts, but doesn’t add or remove anything from C++.
C++ coroutines are like monads:— Vector of Bool - 🌻 (@vector_of_bool) May 24, 2022
Once you understand them, you must write a blog post that tries and fails to teach them to everyone else.